|Job Title||College Readiness Advisor|
|Posted By||Gary Comer Youth Center|
|Salary Range||Based on experience|
|Start Date||August 2011|
|Hourly Wage Range||Not Applicable|
|Agency Contact Phone||(773) 358-4088|
|Location||Location -> Illinois -> Chicago / Cook County|
|Type of Work||Type of Work -> Service Delivery / Social Work / Counseling|
|Job Type||Job Type -> Part-time|
The College Readiness Advisor is responsible for the execution of a comprehensive academic program for youth members aimed at helping them be successful in high school and prepared for college. The College Readiness Advisor also assists in the development of college readiness curriculum and the administration/analysis of academic assessments for our youth. This is a part-time position, working 25 hours per week. The College Readiness Advisor reports to the Director of Academic Enhancement.
Gary Comer Youth Center
Having opened its doors in June 2006, the state-of-the-art Gary Comer Youth Center (GCYC) offers positive extracurricular alternatives in a welcoming and safe environment. The mission is to provide the support for all members to graduate from high school, prepared to pursue college and careers. Located on Chicago’s South Side, the Gary Comer Youth Center serves as the home of the South Shore Drill Team and began a dynamic partnership with the Noble Network of Charter Schools to open Gary Comer College Prep (GCCP) in 2008. GCCP will expand its high school and begin serving middle school students this coming August 2011.
For more information, please visit: www.gcychome.org and www.garycomercollegeprep.org
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
The College Readiness Advisor works to insure well-executed and effective academic support for young people participating in the Youth Center's many programs. Key responsibilities include:
- Meet with youth members in small group and one-on-one coaching sessions.
- Plan and execute lessons in alignment with Illinois state standards for multiple curricula and across multiple age ranges.
- Develop and execute effective lessons for standardized test preparation and college admissions procedures.
- Supervise youth during instructional blocks and handle discipline issues when they arise.
- Monitor and communicate youth academic goals, objectives and outcomes through outreach to families, staff, members and funders.
- Plan and execute a study hall program for 13-18 year olds.
- Administer comprehensive whole-group and one-on-one assessments to measure student growth and performance.
- Facilitate effective data management of members’ academic assessments and growth.
- Willingness to work two Saturdays every month and hours ranging from noon to 8PM Monday thru Friday (scheduled hours will not exceed 25).
- Willingness to work modified hours in the Summer (typically Monday thru Friday 8:30AM - 1:30 PM).
Must demonstrate cultural competency, dedication to working with youth, families and community members in our care.
Salary: Dependent upon qualifications and experience.
To apply: E-mail cover letter, resume and references to: teachinggcychome.org
Applicant letters may be addressed to: Gary Comer Youth Center, 7200 South Ingleside Avenue, Chicago, IL 60619
Experience / Education:
- Bachelor’s degree and 2-3 years of teaching experience preferred.
- Demonstrated experience developing and delivering curriculum.
- Strong standardized test scores and a keen understanding of the college admissions process.
- Experience with successful supervision of youth.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task, troubleshoot and problem solve effectively.
- Working knowledge of youth development stages, as well social-emotional needs of children and teens.
This job is open for online applications.